What is Chrome Wire Shelving?
Chrome wire shelving has made its way into many homes and businesses at a super-fast rate over the last few years, and for good reason! This kind of shelving puts functionality and cost above everything else.
Who Uses Chrome Wire Shelving?
Due to its functionality, improved air circulation and visibility, Chrome wire shelving is often found in the catering, electronic and medical industries. In these places, it is vitally important that shelving is easy to manage as well as being sanitary. Chrome wire shelving allows air to travel between the shelves as well as below the items being stored. The fact that it is covered in chrome means that it is easy to clean and to keep clean too. Furthermore, it is available in a huge range of widths, depths and heights too, so it can fit in any space whether big or small.
How to Clean Chrome Wire Shelving
As with any shelving, it will become dirty and need a clean eventually, no matter how sanitary it is a choice of shelving! After a while, they are susceptible to becoming sticky, dirty or dusty and so will need a good clean. But, how do you go about cleaning chrome wire shelving with all it’s little nooks and crannies? Rest assured, you can have your shelves sparkly and shiny again in no time!
What You Will Need
To clean your shelves, you will not need anything unusual. Most people can get away with using hot water, dishwasher detergent or dish soap, as well as a cloth or sponge and a toothbrush. You might also need a screwdriver to take apart or remove your shelves from their unit and a sandwich bag to store any loose screws! Aside from that, all you need is some good old-fashioned elbow grease!
Steps to Clean Your Chrome Wire Shelving
- Firstly, if your shelves are removable, you should take out any removable parts. They are much easier to clean if you can move them about and turn them over! You might need a screwdriver, but trust us, it’s worth it! So you don’t lose any screws or brackets, put them in a sandwich bag. You can even tape the bag to the frame of the unit if you wish so that you don’t lose them.
- Now onto the cleaning! You should fill your sink or bathtub with hot water. Add around a quarter of a cup of dishwasher liquid (the kind that you put inside your automatic dishwasher machine). If you don’t have any of this, dish soap will do the trick just fine. If you can, you should submerge as much of the shelf as you can. Use a cloth soaked in the liquid to wet the shelves if this is not possible.
- If you can, leave the chrome wire shelving to soak in your mixture for around an hour. This makes them much easier to clean afterwards.
- Next, add some of the dishwashing liquid directly to your cloth and scrub the difficult spots. You can also use a toothbrush to get into all the hard to reach sections. You should then drain all the water away from your sink.
- Leave the shelves in the sink or tub and rinse with hot water. Once you have done this you can remove them from the sink or tub. It would be a good idea to put towels down onto the floor before you take them out.
- Leave the shelves on the towel to air dry for about thirty minutes. Then dry them with a towel. If there are any rusty areas, you can spray these with a rust-remover spray or with some WD-40. This should remove the stains.
- Next, put the shelves back where they came from. If you wish, you could always use your hair dryer to give the shelves a good once-over to ensure that they are fully dry again!
Chrome wire shelving units are not only versatile, but they are also sanitary and easy to keep clean too (just look at our simple steps above!). They come in a variety of sizes and allow whatever is on your shelves to have good airflow around so that the items or products themselves stay at their best for as long as possible. This is particularly important for perishable items in the hospitality trade also important in the medical and electronic industries too. All in all, chrome wire shelving is a great choice for modern-day storage. The units all look contemporary too!